Monday, July 12, 2021

 The importance of moral recognition



Dr. Jassim Taqui

DG Al-Bab Institute for Strategic Studies

Islamabad, July 3, 2021: The CEOs should initiate a must debate on the importance of recognizing the genuine efforts of staff while performing their duties. Such recognition would further promote the goals of organizations/ companies as well as meeting the aspirations of those self-motivated individuals in their home institutions.

I personally faced the lack of such recognition even as my contribution was outstanding. In this regard, I would like to mention my personal contribution to promote enhancing the Pak-US relations in 2005.

At the time, HE Anne Patterson was the US Ambassador to Pakistan. Patterson was keen to meet high-ranking officials even before presenting her credentials to the President. The then Ministry of Foreign Affairs reacted viciously by asking a section of the press to wage a media war against her. I could not believe the MOFA because I know in the core that ambassadors come to improve ties rather than deteriorating them.

I, therefore wrote in the Pakistan Observer a diplomatic focus titled, “In the defense of Anne Patterson.” At the time, I was Deputy Editor of PO. I never expected any recognition since I genuinely wanted the promotion of Pak-US relations.

Furthermore. I found the attitude of Anne Paterson in cementing the bilateral ties was genuine. My article generated a tremendously positive response; making me very pleased with myself.

The story was closed for me to that extent. However, to my inordinate delight, my editor late Zahid Malik called me to his office. He gave me a copy of a letter he received from the Spokesperson of the US Embassy Dr. Elizabeth Colton that thanked me, through my editor, for writing such a piece.

Thence, I started calling, in my Focus on Diplomatic Affairs’, columns the Ambassador as Kind Anne, and Colton as Queen Elizabeth.

Mr. Malik rewarded me also with a written letter of thanks, enhancing my salary, and promoting me to the post of Editor of PO weekly magazine. God is great. He has his way of blessing individuals through His people.

More than 16 years have since passed. I still hold dear to my heart the letter of kind Elizabeth Colton. I still remember her kindness and inspiration. For me, she is eternal.

 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

U.S. Ambassador Blome’s Meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar

U.S. Ambassador Blome’s Meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar The below is attributable to U.S. Mission Spokes...