Friday, August 6, 2021

 Why do I love children?

Dr. Jassim Taqui



DG Al-Bab Institute for Strategic Studies

Recalling my childhood when I was 4 years old. I was living with my widowed stepmother and her 8 children. My elder sister, Siham, who was 4 years elder than me was also living in the same house. My father was busy in his business, his fourth wife, and the demands of his three divorced wives. They sued him in the courts demanding aliment.

My stepmother was a monster. She compelled me to leave the school when I stood first in my class. Later, she made me work as a porter. I could not complain to my father. There was a dark cellar in our house full of mice. My stepmother used to push me in the cellar whenever I disobeyed her orders. I was knotty. I used to cross my limit of meager food by secretly eating her specially made Arab cuisine. I thought it was worthy to be punished after satisfying my hunger.

Life was miserable. However, the will of Almighty intervened to give me a slight respite. Two women started to show kindness and help. My elder sister Siham acted like my mother and defender. She was extraordinarily kind and full of love. The second woman (child) was Ironically my stepsister Sabah (morning) whose age was equal to mine. Sabah was extremely kind to me. We used to memorize Holy Quran in a nearby seminary.

Sabah remained my best friend even after the passing away of my father. She made me change my views on women. I earnt from her to go out of my way to help all kind people who needed my help. More importantly, I learned from Sabah to be optimistic and kind. I learned from Holy Quran Arabic language and to be moderate in my life and my views.

Sabah was my morning as her name implies. She was the light that went deep into my inner self. She was my balm, the meaning of my life, my only friend and dearer than my real sister. I miss her even now. To me, she remains the same 4-year-old child who overwhelmed me with her kindness. The one who comforted me whenever I was beaten by her mother and thrown in the cellar. The one who got me out of the grave-like cellar. The one who secretly shared her rich meal with me. The one who helped me go back to school determined to excel. And excelled I did in all levels of education from primary to university graduation with a doctorate. This is why I love children. Every one of them reminds me of Sabah.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

U.S. Ambassador Blome’s Meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar

U.S. Ambassador Blome’s Meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar The below is attributable to U.S. Mission Spokes...