Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Language and linguistics

Dr. Jassim Taqui



DG Al-Bab Institute for Strategic Studies

Islamabad, September 21, 2021: In 1982-1988, I drifted from science to Linguistics. I registered my synopsis titled “The Linguistic theory of English-Arabic translation” in the Punjab University despite strong reservation by my supervisor who thought that I wouldn’t be able to succeed in my research for lack of references and studies bilingually in the afore-mentioned discipline.

However, I insisted on the topic even if I failed in my research. Ultimately, and after one and a half years, I appeared before the Higher Studies Committee of the University of Punjab, Lahore, and successfully defended my synopsis.

I planned to study the Transformational Theory or TG theory of Noam Chomsky and to apply it to English-Arabic Translation using Applied and Psycholinguistics.

Following 6 long years of research, my thesis was submitted by my supervisor to Professor Salam who did his Ph.D. from Harvard University. My professor was certain that Harvard University will not pass my thesis. I, however, was confident in my research and findings.

After a long wait of over 9 months, I got my Ph.D. with distinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

U.S. Ambassador Blome’s Meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar

U.S. Ambassador Blome’s Meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar The below is attributable to U.S. Mission Spokes...